Click on the image below. It leads to my website: carolyn-elizabeth.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010

“An empty stable stays clean, but no income comes from an empty stable” (Proverbs 14:4).

Generating income is often a messy venture.  Whether running a business in the home or running a home is your business, whether there are piles of professional papers or colored construction papers, pens or paint sets, one may say income is generated in the home if income is defined as anything that profits oneself or others.  An empty stable may stay clean, but neither man nor beast profit where hay and harness cannot be found. 

Running a home is my business and, yes, my “stable” is full and some of the stalls are messy.  The front stall is crowded with items waiting for the Salvation Army to pick up.  This is profitable for myself and others, but the children’s shoes strewn somewhere between the front door and the closet?  I see no profit here.  The laundry stall is heaped; the income is steady and the output profitable…plenty of hay in here, but now, where did I put my pitchfork?  I sure would like to find that thing.  In the meantime, stabled in the main stall is a basketball backboard that my boys are building.  I see the profit, but this animal is in the wrong stall!  “Saddle up, boys!  Get this doggie rollin’ and close the garage door behind you!”  If it profits others, it is positive income and the mess can wait; if it profits no one, it is negative income and the mess is, well, to be cleaned. 

I have posted this verse by my kitchen sink.  I need the reminder.  My stable is neither empty, nor does it stay clean, but profit for the Kingdom of God began in an inhabited and useful stable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment