Click on the image below. It leads to my website: carolyn-elizabeth.com

Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe" (John 20:25).

He is known as Doubting Thomas, but it seems to me that Hoping Thomas is a more accurate name for this loyal and inquiring apostle of Christ.  It was Thomas who would have returned to Bethany with Jesus into near-certain death in order to be with Him; Thomas who, during the Last Supper, inquired where Jesus was speaking of going and how he could know the way, and Thomas who was eager to believe that the disciples’ report was true.  They claimed to have seen Christ resurrected and, could it be, this Christ was now standing before him? Perhaps the infamous “Unless I see, I will not believe” was less an expression of doubt and more an expression of hoping against hope.  The invitation was given to see for himself, but before he could reach out his hand he fell to the floor and answered, “My Lord and my God!” 

Revelation comes at His invitation and confirmation is given to those who purpose to see Jesus standing before them at every juncture.  He stands in the midst of our fears, confusions, disappointments and less-than-magnificent moments.  Yet, when doubt assails hope prevails in those who are as ready as Thomas to believe.  Like Thomas, the other disciples needed to see Christ’s hands and side and were glad to believe, but Thomas alone fell down and proclaimed the presence of the Lord. 

Look!  He stands before you now!  Don’t be incredulous, but purpose to see Him.  Fall down and proclaim the presence of the Lord your God even here. 

Author: Carolyn Roehrig

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Someone said to me a while back, Thomas was a man's man. Whilst Peter tried to talk Jesus out of going to Jerusalem, Thomas was the one who basically said, "Right, Let's go and get killed along with him!" I see Thomas as a great encouragement to women who are married to men who are not as "spiritual" as they'd like them to be. Jesus chose for his disciples different characters and temperaments and in amongst them was Thomas - a man's man.

    ReplyDelete